Sunday, September 6, 2009

One Thing

What is the most important thing in your life? Be honest, now, because that’s what everything else really revolves around.

Listen to what God’s word says in 1 Corinthians 2:1, 2, “And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

Paul is saying to the church in Corinth that there is one thing of utmost importance - Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Everything else is based on this one thing. Everything, that is, that involves my relationship with God.

It’s not a matter of how smart we are, how well we can speak, how nice our church buildings are, how nice we are, how many ‘programs’ we have. If we lose sight of the “one thing”, we lose sight of Christianity. The “one thing” is Jesus. It has been from before the beginning of time. God planned for Jesus to be the redeemer - even before the world knew of sin - before there was man to be aware of the need for a Redeemer.

“One thing” involves my awareness now, though. I must realize that everything else falls under this priority - my relationship with God through His Son. Only through Jesus can we come to God. He said in John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man comes unto the Father except through me.

“One thing” involves making choices once I am aware. Jesus said I must “seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.” (Matthew 6:33) You see, God has told me what is important. Jesus has told me what is important. But I must make the choice and decide what is really important to me in my life. When Martha asked Jesus to tell Mary to help her with the household things, He said, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.

“One thing” - everything else revolves around that - everything! And I must let my children and others around me see the “one thing” that is the center of my life. Remember, whatever that “center” is, those around us will know it. If the “one thing” in the center of my life is not Jesus and Him crucified, then His resurrection isn’t going to mean much either. My resurrection is based on His resurrection. If Jesus isn’t first, then - well, what do you think?

See you when the saints meet, Lord willing.

Love, Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Is Tony Lalli - Brief Bio By His Sons