Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Only Way To Go Is Up

Have you ever heard the saying, “The only way to go is up?” Well, I think that describes the church right here in Dewey (and everywhere else.) I realize that most people who use that phrase are referring to someone or something that is so far down that the only possible way to go is up. Complete collapse or destruction is the next step. I don’t think this church - or the church in general - is in such a condition but the phrase still applies.

Paul writes in Colossians 3:1, 2, “Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on the earth.” And the Psalmist writes in Psalm 121:1, “I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.

Beloved, when we are God’s children, the only way to go is up! If we are not striving in an upward way, we are serving something or someone other than the God who created us. The reason we set goals is so we may reach higher - and it is time we started setting some goals. This is all to the glory of God. If our affection is set on the things above, our goals cannot help but be met and surpassed!

Remember, increase comes in ones. One more Bible study. One more in worship. One more invited to study. This is how the church grows.

Is just one more really important? Let me ask you - how many are you? You are ONE. I am one. Are you important? Am I important? Of course we are. Jesus thought so! If you and I “seek those things which are above,” then we will be moving upward and can’t help but take others with us.

Why is ‘up’ the only way to go? Paul says it well in Colossians 3 when in verse 1 he says, “if you have been raised up with Christ.” And in verses 9 and 10 he reminds us that we have “laid aside the old self with its evil practices” and “have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him.

UP! What other direction is there for one who wants to live forever with God? Likewise, the church, if serving God, can go no other direction. Christ’s way is up and there is no other way! As the song says, “I’m pressing on the upward way; new heights I’m gaining every day.” Let’s put that into practice in our lives and in the church. Lord, plant our feet on higher ground!

See you when the saints meet, Lord willing.

Love, Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Is Tony Lalli - Brief Bio By His Sons