Sunday, June 21, 2009

What I Have Seen and People I Have Met

As a child I never thought I would see the places I have seen. I have been awed by Edinburgh Castle, and have gazed across the waters of Loch Ness in Scotland. I’ve seen the splendor of the gold-covered domes of St. Basil’s Cathedral in Red Square, Moscow and viewed the body of Lenin in a glass coffin. And, fulfilling a childhood dream of seeing the Volga River (after reading about it in geography class), I have walked across its frozen surface in the sub-zero temperatures of winter. I’ve seen the pueblos of Mexico and witnessed the colorful culture of our neighbors to our south. I’ve seen the Baltic Sea, Malbork Castle, the largest structure in Europe made entirely of brick and have visited the death camps at Auschwitz and Birkenau, and other sights (even Hel) in Poland. No, I never thought I’d see those places. And none of the trips have been for “pleasure.”

But more importantly, I’ve met the people in those places. I’ve met people who have most of what they want and others who had nearly nothing. I’ve met people who were raised in religion but know little or nothing about the Book from which their religion was supposed to have come. In all of these countries, religion has always been traditionally important.

Traditionally. That brings me to the most important reason for visiting those places. You see, never, as a child, did I think I would be flying off to some “mission field” with my wife and others. The blessing, though, of being able to share, even for a short time, the eternal Word that can change people’s lives is far above “seeing the sights.” To see faces light up when simple truths from the Bible become real and comprehensible to them is priceless. To see people who have only experienced pomp and ceremony in religion join in with a group of Christians simply worshipping from God’s Word and then share in a period of fellowship cannot be described in a travel brochure. To hear a student say they want to just know the answers from the Bible is reward beyond compare.

While in Poland this trip we taught over 200 one-on-one class sessions interacting with about 60 different students and also helped with the children’s classes and assisted with other tasks needing attention. A high point was helping host a period of fellowship following worship on June 7th. We invited the students and their families or friends to attend worship and then share in a meal. At least 19 visitors came. This has helped break a barrier and bridge a gap that will help the church there to interact more with those who come to the classes.

We will be giving a full report to the Dewey Church of Christ soon and will give more details and share pictures of the work being done, both with the students and on the facilities.

See you when the Saints meet, Lord willing.

Love, Tony

Editor's Note: For more information on this ministry or to find out when you can see Tony's report, direct requests to:

PO Box 340
1313 N. Osage (Hwy. 75, North of the High School)
Dewey Ok, 74029
Phone: 918-534-2782
FAX: 918-534-3103
deweychurch@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Is Tony Lalli - Brief Bio By His Sons