Sunday, June 28, 2009

Reflections on Father’s Day

I missed writing something ‘traditional’ for Father’s Day last week so thought I might share some thoughts about it this week.

My father gave me the freedom to make choices. When I decided I wanted to join the Navy but was not quite old enough to sign independently, he signed the form for me. When I decided to get married, I was not quite old enough to sign for that license on my own. He signed with
me. (No, he wasn’t just trying to get rid of me…..at least I don’t think so.)

Of course, when I was a lot younger, he nor my mother, would let me make all my final decisions. They, many times, said no to things I wanted to do.

My father was not a controller. He knew I would have to make some mistakes along the way and, hopefully, learn from those mistakes. And I am sure it hurt him when I made the wrong decisions. He taught me what was right and let me know when I was wrong. He made me do some things I did not want to do and tried to teach me about a work ethic. He taught me to be honest and honorable in my dealings with others. I think I am the better for it. And I cherish his memory every day in some way or other even when I’m not aware of it.

My Father in heaven has also given me the freedom of choice. He has watched while I have done both good and bad. And I’m sure it has hurt Him when I have made those not-so-good decisions about life situations. Long ago God told Moses to tell the people to learn and teach His ways “that your days may be prolonged.” (Deuteronomy 6:2)

My Father in heaven has sacrificed for me. He gave Jesus, His only Son to show me His grace and give me the hope of eternal life.

My Father in heaven is patient with me, allowing me to make my own decisions but having given me the guidance about how to make those decisions.

My Father in heaven does not control me unless I yield myself to His will and ask Him to have control over me. Then I am honoring Him every day. Then every day is Father’s Day, giving honor to the One who has known me from before birth. Then I can grow in the image of the One who has chosen to adopt me as one of His own. Then I will be giving Him honor every day in whatever I do because as Paul puts it in Colossians 3:17 I can give thanks to Him through Jesus Christ.

Father’s Day is, indeed, every day for the Christian. Let Him know how much you love Him and appreciate all He has done for you. You don’t have to send a card, you can send a prayer.

See you when the Saints meet, Lord willing.

Love, Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Is Tony Lalli - Brief Bio By His Sons