Sunday, May 3, 2009

Second Chances?

There’s a cute little song by Veggie Tales that is entitled “A God of Second Chances.” It’s in the Veggie Tales movie about Jonah. (If you don’t know about Veggie Tales that’s okay. Maybe you can ask one of the little kids - or a parent.) Anyway, it teaches that God is willing to give us second chances.

I know this is going to really sound silly to some of you and may not be what you thought it would be from the title but let me tell you about a ‘second chance’ I had. Last year some wrens built a nest under our patio on a ledge where the fireplace extended out from the house. I noticed that they were not going to the nest so I checked it. Much to my surprise (and horror of my wife), there was a black snake coiled up in the nest. A large one - forty-two inches. It didn’t want to cooperate with me to get it out and capture it alive (which my wife and neighbor didn’t want me to do anyway since some people think the only good snake is a dead one.) So, I wound up killing the snake. I didn’t want to because it was not poisonous and therefore not a threat to us.

Now for the second chance. Sunday afternoon my wife noticed a blue jay and other birds on our back fence really putting up a fuss and looking down into the flower bed. I was pretty sure what was going on and upon checking out the flower bed, sure enough, there was another black snake. Not as big as the other one but still over two feet.

Still feeling bad because I had killed the first one, I picked this one up and put it in a bucket and then released it later in a wooded area outside of town.

But wait a minute. I said the snake was not a threat to me. However, it was definitely a threat to those birds and their babies. But in the nature of things snakes have to survive, too. What a dilemma!

You know there have been times in my life - and probably in yours, too - that I may have hurt someone who never really was a threat to me or intended me harm. Maybe it was by saying something meant to be funny or it could have been with malice. Maybe it was something that happened before I became a Christian. Maybe it was unintentional. Maybe it was …..

I know of people who wish they could change the last words they spoke to someone before they died. I have wished for opportunities to tell someone I’m sorry….to have a second chance.

Silly snake story? Maybe, but it just makes me think that if I felt remorse because of the way I treated that innocent (even though your opinion may differ) snake and wanted to treat the next one better, how should I feel toward my brothers and sisters, neighbors, co-workers, or anyone with whom I come in contact.

Jesus said, “In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” He didn’t say to wait to see how they are going to treat you. Christians are to take the initiative in showing the world what it’s like to be treated in a Christlike manner. Let your light shine now. You may not get a second chance.

See you when the Saints meet, Lord willing.

Love, Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Is Tony Lalli - Brief Bio By His Sons